Incidence of diabetes mellitus on global level and in Pakistan.

By | 15th May 2012

We have to appreciate the fact that Diabetes Mellitus is a condition causing 25 times more blindness ; it is a condition causing

Nephropathy ending up in  Kidney  failure;  Neuropathy  causing numbness,  wounds    &  amputations  and  Heart  Attacks  &  Strokes which  occur  4 – 5  times  more  frequently.  

For  obvious  reasons  then  this  metabolic  disorder  places  a great  burden  on  the Individual,  on  society  and  on  Health Services.  It,  therefore,  becomes  important  to  know  the Incidence  and  prevalence  of  such  a  devastating  disease.

 

The  incidence  of  Diabetes  globally,  as  well  as  in  our  country is  different  for  different  types  of  Diabetes  Mellitus  namely:

1.        Insulin  Dependent  Diabetes  Mellitus  ( IDDM )  or  Type  I

 Diabetes.

2.     Non  Insulin  Dependent  Diabetes  Mellitus  ( NIDDM )  or  Type  II

 Diabetes.

 

In  addition,  there  is  a  clear  third  group  of  population  with Impaired  Glucose  Tolerance  ( IGT ). Number  of  patients  suffering  from  Diabetes  is  increasing  all over  the  globe.  There  are  currently  an  estimated  143  Million people  with  Diabetes  worldwide.  The  figure  is  projected  to rise  to  300  Million  by  the  year  2025.

 In  Pakistan  Insulin  Dependent  Diabetes  Mellitus  ( IDDM ) constitutes  less  than  2 %  of  total  Diabetic  population.  The other  98 %  suffer  from  Type  II  Diabetes.

  A  National  Diabetic  Prevalence  Survey  was  initiated  by  the Diabetic  Association  of  Pakistan,  Karachi,  in  collaboration  with WHO  in  1994  and  completed  in  1998.  According  to  this  survey the  prevalence  of  Type  II  Diabetes  is  about  12 %  and  Impaired Glucose  Tolerance  ( IGT ) Is  around  10 %  among  the  general  population  aged  25  years  and  above.

  With  reference  to  its  distribution  in  various  parts  of  the country:

In  Rural  Sindh:   Prevalence  is  13.9 %  for  Diabetes  and  11.2 % for  IGT.

In  Urban  Sindh:  This  is  higher  at  16.5 %  for  Type  II Diabetes  and  10.4 %  for  IGT.

In  Balochistan  Rural:  Diabetes  appears  to  be  low  at   7.5 %  for  Diabetes,  as  well  as,  IGT.

In  Balochistan  Urban:  Again  incidence  as  compared  to  rural  is higher  that  is  10.8 %  for  Diabetes  and  10.4 %  for  IGT. 

In  NWFP:  Figures  are  available  for  Rural  only,  which  is  12 % prevalence  of  Type  II  Diabetes  and  9.4 %  of  IGT.

Similarly  in  Punjab  while  Rural  prevalence  is  6.23 %  for Diabetes  and  5.63 %  for  IGT.  Figure  is  higher  in  Urban  being 13.68 %  for  Diabetes  and  10.32 %  for  IGT.

  Comparing  various  age  groups:  Type  II  Diabetes  occurs relatively  early  in  our  population  as  compared  to  Europeans. In  Europeans  it  occurs  usually  above  the  age  of  40  years, where  as  the  onset  of  Diabetes  in  our  population  occurs  in 15 – 18  %  of  people  under  40.

 Similarly  if  we  compare  the  prevalence  in  Male  and  Female:

The  prevalence  rate  of  Type  II  and  IGT  increase  with advancing  age  in  both  sexes,  reaching  a  peak  of  55 – 64  years in  Men  and  65 – 74  years  in  Women.  This  is  probably  because women  live  longer  than  men.

Type  I  or  Insulin  Dependent  Diabetes  Mellitus  ( IDDM ) continues  to  be  a  rare  disorder  in  Pakistan,  a  recent  study in  Karachi  showed  the  incidence  of  Type  I  Diabetes  of 100,000.  people /  year  to  be   1.01   for  males  and   1.04  for females.

Diabetes  is  also  frequent  in  pregnancy.  A  study  was  carried out  from  1986  to  1993  at  antenatal  clinic  of  Civil  Hospital Karachi  &   this  revealed  that  of  the  12877  females  attending an  antenatal  clinic  showed  14.7 % ,  with  risk  factors,  to  have Diabetes  Mellitus.

To  sum  up:  In  the  global  human  population  of  06  Billion, every  4th  person  is  diabetic   and  by  the  year   2025,  every 2nd person is expected to suffer from Diabetes.  Pakistan today,  has  8th  highest  number  of  Diabetes.  Though not a cause for  scare,  It  certainly  is  a  food  for  thought.

  PRESENTED BY: MUHAMMAD ILYAS SIDDIQUI

       NEW FINAL YEAR M.B.B.S STUDENT (2001)

              DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNITY MEDICINE

          LIAQUAT MEDICAL COLLEGE, JAMSHORO