1. Bipolar disorder involves periods of extreme low mood (depression) alternating with periods of abnormally elevated mood (mania/hypomania). True or false?
2. Which is NOT considered a core symptom of mania/hypomania in bipolar disorder?
B. Depressive symptoms
C. Reduced need for sleep
3. Bipolar disorder is most commonly treated using:
C. Mood stabilizers
4. Which is the most common type of bipolar disorder?
A. Bipolar I disorder
B. Bipolar II disorder
C. Cyclothymic disorder
D. Rapid cycling bipolar disorder
5. Which statement about the genetics of bipolar disorder is FALSE?
A. It has strong familial links
B. Concordance rates are highest in monozygotic twins
C. It is traced through the maternal lineage
D. Genetic mutations play some role in etiology
6. Which co-occurring condition is most common with bipolar disorder?
A. Panic disorder
B. Generalized anxiety disorder
C. Substance use disorder
D. Post-traumatic stress disorder
7. Mixed episodes involve features of mania/hypomania and depression simultaneously. True or false?
8. Which is NOT considered a cause or trigger for manic/hypomanic episodes?
A. Seasonal changes
B. Medication non-adherence
C. Stressful life events
D. Lack of psychosocial stressors
9. Impulsivity and poor judgment are commonly seen in which phase of bipolar I disorder?
A. Depressed phase
B. Euthymic phase
C. Mixed phase
D. Manic/hypomanic phase
10. Rapid cycling bipolar disorder is defined as four or more mood episodes in a single year. True or false?
11. Neuroimaging studies have shown bipolar disorder may involve abnormalities in which brain regions?
A. Prefrontal cortex and amygdala
B. Hippocampus and thalamus
C. Hypothalamus and nucleus accumbens
D. Insular cortex and cingulate gyrus
12. Which mood stabilizer is approved as monotherapy for both acute manic/hypomanic and depressed episodes in bipolar I disorder?
13. Suicidal ideation and behavior is most prevalent in which phase of bipolar disorder?
A. Depressed phase
B. Mixed phase
C. Euthymic phase
D. Manic/hypomanic phase
14. What percentage of individuals with bipolar disorder will make at least one suicide attempt?
15. Which medication has a black box warning for increased risk of suicidal thoughts and behavior in pediatric populations?
16. Hypomanic periods are distinguished from manic periods by a lack of what criterion?
A. Episode duration
B. Impairment of functioning
C. Change in typical behavior
D. Hospitalization risk
17. Bipolar II disorder differs from I in only experiencing what type of episode instead of mania?
B. Mixed episodes
C. Rapid cycling
18. Panic disorder, social anxiety disorder and OCD commonly co-occur with which phase?
19. Which is considered a core feature of the depressed phase rather than manic/hypomania in bipolar disorder?
A. Feeling restless or agitated
B. Hopelessness or worthlessness
C. Pressure of speech
20. Significant decreased need for sleep is characteristic of the manic/hypomanic phase. True or false?
21. Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) has been shown to help prevent relapse of depression specifically in bipolar disorder. True or false?
22. Typical age of onset for Bipolar I disorder is between 15-25 years old. True or false?
23. Rapid cycling involves four or more distinct mood periods in a twelve month period. True or false?
24. Lamotrigine is FDA approved as a standalone treatment for depression in bipolar disorder. True or false?
25. Bipolar disorder involves changes in how an individual perceives or interprets situations that are not supported by facts or evidence around them. True or false?
26. Patterns of hyperthymic and cyclothymic temperaments are common precursors of childhood-onset bipolar disorder. True or false?
27. Bipolar disorder is more common in women than men. True or false?
28. Antidepressants alone can trigger manic/hypomanic episodes if taken without a mood stabilizer in bipolar disorder patients. True or false?
29. Maintenance/continuation treatment after a acute episode should last a minimum of 2 years. True or false?
30. Which is NOT one of the primary symptoms defining a manic/hypomanic episode?
A. Inflated self-esteem
B. Racing thoughts
D. Decreased need for sleep
31. Bipolar II disorder affects more individuals than Bipolar I. True or false?
32. Omega-3 fatty acid supplements have shown some effectiveness as an add-on for managing acute bipolar depression symptoms. True or false?
33. Psychotherapy is not recommended as a routine treatment for bipolar disorder. True or false?
34. Bipolar “spectrum” disorders include cyclothymia, schizoaffective disorder and premenstrual dysphoric disorder. True or false?
35. Lithium has the highest suicide prevention effect of all antimanic medications for bipolar disorder. True or false?
36. Bipolar “not otherwise specified” indicates subthreshold symptoms insufficient for a full diagnosis. True or false?
37. Most patients prescribed antidepressants for bipolar depression should take an additional mood stabilizer to reduce risk of treatment-emergent mania. True or false?
38. Which type of Bipolar has features of both depression and mania but no distinct periods or episodes?
A. Bipolar I
B. Bipolar II
D. Rapid Cycling
39. EEG studies find differences in alpha and theta wave patterns in bipolar patients compared to healthy controls. True or false?
40. Patients with bipolar disorder have an increased risk for certain medical comorbidities like cardiovascular, metabolic and autoimmune disorders. True or false?